Tuesday, August 8

Retraction

Previously I wrote an entry about how I was mad at a particular book for not giving me the particular ending I was looking for. Let me add a little more detail here. I was upset with said book because it was written by my favoritest author in the entire world but lacked the tone I have come to adore from her. In fact, the book lacked all characteristics that usually make up her books, including, but not limited to, life-changing spiritual experiences and some deep theology woven in.

As I read, I kept expecting the characters to realize their need for God and how foolish they'd been living their live without Him and all that, and by the time I reached the end, and they had not had their stereotypical encounter, I was hopping mad that I had had to read the last quarter of it to just to get the end where nothing I expected happened. It was just... a book. No learning experience. No moral behind the story. Just a book. Granted, it was about sacrificial love and had some good life lessons in it, but it wasn't what I wanted from my favoritest author ever. Thus, the throw across the room.

Well, wouldn't you know, the very next day I came across an interview said author did soon after said book came out. The difference between the book and her other works was addressed, and she explained that this particular book was her way of trying to reach out into the secular world. She hoped to get people who wouldn't necessarily read a "Christian" book to read a regular book that would suck them in and leave them wanting more-- pushing them to the rest of her stellar novels, which are all Christian themed.

Ouch. Don't I feel stupid?

I'm so sorry, Karen Kingsbury. I never should have doubted you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home