Saturday, February 19

In regards to my previous post, "Snowboarding Rocks!", I finally have some time to expound. Sunday morning, at an ungodly hour, we met at Justin #1's house, piled our boards in the back of his mom's Montero, and with a quick stop at 7-11 to fill the cooler with ice, we were on our way up the stormy mountain known as Big Bear. The way up was foggy and rainy; it didn't look like it would be a very fun day for snowboarding.
Amazingly, about half way to the top of the mountain, the storm clouds were suddenly below us; lo and behold, the top of the mountain was beautiful. The sun was shining, it was nice and warm-- perfect for boarding.
And board we did. Justin #2 and I got installment #2 of Justin and Jesse's "Anyone Can Learn to Snowboard" lesson. The mission this time: learn toeside. I was determined. My previous trips have gone something like this: 1) when Tyler took me, I learned how to slide down the mountain while sitting on my board, 2) when Justin tried, I learned how to plow, 3) with Jesse, I learned how to plow at an angle and therefore get some speed. Obviously the time had come to learn how to really do this thing. So while I focused on learning toeside, Jesse and Justin #1 argued over what ways I should turn and whether or not I was goofy (footed, that is). After many confusing instructions (like "keep your toe!"-- what the heck does that mean?), Justin finally told me that when I turn to go toeside, I just have to turn back around to go on my heels. Genius! It worked, and the boys finally decided that simple really is better. From there I was on my way.

PS- Justin #2 learned how to go heel-side this time, so we're both sittin' pretty.
PPS- if you read Jesse's xanga, they did not ditch us-- we suggested the two of them go by themselves for awhile so they could go at their speed, without us slowing them down
PPS- Jesse's got pictures on his xanga- they're pretty good for being taken on the mountain
PPPS- Someday, Justin #1, I will race you down that hill and win....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home